Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Rejoicing

OK, before anyone gets overly excited here, let me just give a bit of a disclaimer. This is for any of you who pay any attention at all to the fine print at the end of this post that proclaims the time of day. So...yes, I know it is very late (early?), and I should be in bed. Actually, I slept for a bit in my chair. This is a day when Eric gets up at 1:00 am to be to work by 2:00. So...what's the point of going to bed and disturbing his sleep, just to have him wake up at 1:00 and disturb MY sleep? It just seems easier to wait it out until he leaves. Hmmm...and now that he's gone, I'm still awake. Sigh. But on to my post...

Last night the phone rang. Beth answered the call. Turns out it was her sister, Abbie, on the phone. From a distance down the hall, all I could hear was the genuine sounds of true excitement. "No...you're kidding...WHEN???" Then finally, "you wanna talk to Mom?"

I took the phone in anticipation of what was sure to be a life-changing moment. "Mom? Guess what just happened??? She STOOD UP!!! Yes...all by herself! She pulled herself up and just STOOD there! All by herself!!"

My daughter was, of course, referring to my precious grandbaby, Olivia. Now, realizing that this is my granddaughter we're talking about, I am forcing myself to take an objective view here. But I am sure that there has NEVER been a 9-month-old child in the history of history who has EVER stood up by her/his self. I'm telling you, this child is brilliant. And...as soon as I have more current pics to share, I will have visual proof of this statement.

I was sitting here tonight thinking about that moment; reflecting on the sheer joy of our exuberance over the accomplishment of "our" baby. I'm remembering that the Bible talks about the rejoicing that happens in Heaven when someone decides to believe in and follow Christ. Yes...they rejoice. Sheesh...it's not like nobody else in creation has ever made that decision...but apparently it's a VERY big deal each time, over and over throughout history. Wow.

Then, carrying the thought a bit further, I am thinking about the spiritual steps I have taken, especially in the last few years. Small, stumbling steps at times, yet steps closer to Christ. Is it possible that He rejoices over each one of these faltering steps in much the same way we mere humans rejoice over our childrens' steps? What a concept!

I am reminded of another verse in the Bible:

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:15)

Pure grace...

No comments: