Sunday, April 09, 2006

Happy birthday, Grandma...

Today is the day. My grandma Gregory's birthday. And while she has been gone from this place for many years, for some reason her birthday has been on my mind over the past couple of days. I got in the car with Beth yesterday and announced that tomorrow (today) would be Grandma's birthday. "Happy birthday, Grandma," I spoke aloud, almost forcefully. Suddenly, without warning, my spirit choked. My grief surfaced with the knowledge of how I miss her.

Grandma was a pretty cool lady. I wish I had realized more of that while she was alive. From this point of view, on this day, I can look at her from the perspective of her entire life. And it's a pretty amazing tale...

There is a lot I don't know about Grandma's life. And while that fact bothers me, I must respect her right to keep parts of her story private. I do know that my momma was her only child. She had a pretty tumultuous young adulthood, but somewhere along the line she came to grips with the need to make a decision about Christ. She firmly (and forever) chose Christ.

Grandma endured unbelievable pain and trauma in her lifetime, yet she clung closely to Christ. I believe she found a security there that this earthly life couldn't provide. What a testimony.

There are so many other stories I could relate, but won't...

But...did I mention the time when I was in about 4th grade when I won tickets to a circus...and Grandma went with me?

Did I mention that she had a new groundbreaking surgery in 1962 to repair a hole in her heart, thus resulting in being written up in medical journals?

Did I mention that she was amazingly gifted at playing the piano, and that she was my first piano teacher?

Likely the most poignent story I could share, however, would be my opportunity to sit by her side when she went to meet Jesus. For anyone who has never witnessed this "transferrence" in a Christian's life, I must tell you that it is completely awe-inspiring. I could see her spirit respond as I sat singing old hymns she loved so much. And...perhaps most importantly...I watched her eyes connect with Jesus before her body finally gave up its fight. What an honor to be there.

In case I didn't say it enough, Grandma, I love you. Thank you for all you contributed to my life. Thank you for loving me and for providing for my momma. And perhaps most importantly, thank you for showing us a picture of what commitment to Christ looks like. You are at peace now...perhaps enjoying the company of my mom. I do miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful reflections, friend.