Saturday, April 08, 2006

It's not like it used to be...

This afternoon I went to pick up Beth from work at the University. As I was meandering down the neighborhood streets surrounding the U, I noticed a student sitting out on his front porch studying. He had dragged a recliner chair out there, and appeared to be enjoying his afternoon study session in the fresh air. I had to chuckle to myself, remembering those days of long ago when I too was a student at that very same institution of higher learning (I use the term loosely, as I was far from studious in those days; but I did achieve a pretty remarkable social education).

Interestingly, as I considered this young man's freedom to randomly move his furniture to the porch to study, I suddenly had a sweeping sense of nostalgic sadness. I remember my freedom back then; the freedom to be completely random in my approach to life, the freedom to step completely outside the "box" of acceptable life behavior. As a matter of fact, I seem to remember exercising that freedom rather regularly. Hmmm...stay out all night with a friend and crawl back into the dorm through the laundry room window at 5:00 am...play all day and then attempt to study all night...the list could go on and on, if my 50+ brain wasn't failing me at this moment. I never did anything particularly horrible; it all would likely be considered normal activities of a college-age human. But I do remember the sense of freedom; the sense that I could do off-the-wall things without society's repercussions. Why has that changed? Why don't I feel that freedom any longer? Why does being a "grown-up" prevent me from continuing in my individuality?

I suspect that if I went outside right now, dragging my recliner chair behind me, and proceeded to "sit a spell" on the lawn with a good book, I would possibly be considered odd (at best) by my neighbors. Yet just blocks from here, some young man is likely getting high-fives for his ingenuity. Where's the equity in that?

I must consider this issue further. Possibly I may have to re-implement some past behaviors into my day-to-day life just to show the world that I've still got it in me...and that they are not the boss of me!

Consider yourself warned.

No comments: