Sunday, May 07, 2006

A weekend of good-byes...

What a weekend.

Most of this two-day "rest" from work has been spent moving my last little "chick" from my nest into her very own first apartment. Her little place is charming; it is a little 1-bedroom in what is touted to be the oldest apartment building in our little town (but recently completely renovated, much to this momma's approval). Amid all the work of loading and unloading, it has been so fun to watch her joy as she has been settling in. I think I see a new level of maturity that comes with responsible "ownership." And...I feel secure. Her building is very safe, with many security features in place. So...sigh...I suppose I must release my grip - once again - and trust that Christ has her life well in hand.

I must admit, I have a whole new appreciation for all the thousands of times my papa has helped me and my family move from one place to another (in case I haven't said it enough, Dad, thank you). Of course, along with that appreciation comes the harsh reality that this likely won't be the last time I will help one of my kids move. I signed on for the full deal when I had children. So...we'll just keep the Icy Hot linament close by...

Now I have said goodbye to my baby, at least from under my roof. Then...just a little bit ago, I got the phone call I had been expecting for a couple of weeks. My sister in Christ, Audrey, finally went to see Jesus in person earlier this evening. I have tried to assimilate that into my thinking, but it just won't quite fall into place. I do know that Audrey is overjoyed and that she is experiencing a kind of love now that would never be possible here in this world. But...it does leave the rest of us behind, awaiting our turn to join her there.

I'm so glad I saw Audrey recently. I'm so glad I told her the things I did. I'm so glad she was (is) my friend and sister...

Goodbye, Audrey, for now...I know you are in good hands.

Goodbye, Bethie...I know you are in the very best of hands too...

No comments: